1. For Jon, who was born today, a few years ago, who bought himself his birthday present so that I could have the boys give it to him: four Family Circus books that we haven’t read. Don’t tell the kids–they think he was truly surprised.
2. Buy one, get one free: fudge brownies for the birthday celebration from La Dolce Vita. If you live near Lancaster, this is the place to go for your birthday party supplies. And this one may seem more indulgently mundane than usual, but the experience was sublime.
3. Lighten Up Lancaster and the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce: I know that might sound dull and organizational, except that it isn’t, because these are local organizations that are pouring their energy into connecting local eaters with local farmers.
4. Mr. Rogers. He died eleven years ago today. I do believe he was a saint or boddhisattva or something. My apologies to my FB friends who’ve been inundated by my favorite neighbor’s quotations today, but here’s my favorite of the lot: “If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”
5. Inner warmth, to help me contend with the outer cold.
May we walk in Beauty!