Tomorrow, we are going to Mennonite World Conference in Harrisburg. I was reluctant to sign up because the abstract idea of the crowds and the planning and the getting there and all of it made me a little anxious for some reason. But my parents are giving us a day on their passes. Feeling lucky to get a chance to go.
1. I think Somebody handed Michelangelo the brush this evening and said, “Go to town!” Those clouds. That sunset. Tonight I had a brief moment of really understanding magenta.
2. Magenta wants its own number. It looks so nice snuggling between tangerine and violet.
3. Hearing about the opening of the Mennonite World Conference in Harrisburg. The ones who told me had tears in their eyes as they described the procession of Conestoga people who came forward and told Story: the history of European and Native interactions, the loss of land, the Paxtang Boys. I wish I could have been there.
4. Getting my hair done. I am upping my appointments lately–four or five a year instead of two. I like to be pampered once in a while.
5. Watching a tiny hamster savor her first blueberry. Cuteness is sort of sublime sometimes. I think there’s a spiritual muscle that responds to cuteness, but we trivialize it because it so often gets a schmaltzy, saccharine over-sentimentalization. But cute draws us out of ourselves in a way similar to awe, I think.
May we walk in Beauty!