What three small eggs
are you incubating?
Three tender dreams,
three hidden hopes,
three waiting wishes. . .
How will you hatch them?
How will you nurture and tend
the golden possibilities they contain?
Name them now.
1. Endings and Beginnings. Today is the last day of the first semester. I am ready for a change, ready for the new start.
2. Baby Steps. I am learning, finally, here as I approach the end of a half century, that I can take baby steps. I don’t have to wait until I am ready to do The Whole Thing before I embark on a project. May I keep learning this one.
3. Learning to know people from all over the world. I keep being struck by how incredibly fortunate I am to work in a place where I can get to know people from China and Korea and Japan and Ethiopia and Russia and Vietnam and the Dominican Republic and. . .
4. The pink, salmon, tangerine glow to the clouds yesterday afternoon when I was leaving school.
5. Hopes and dreams. These are the days when the seniors begin to show up at the doors of the English teachers, desperately seeking advice about their college essays. What tender documents these are, holding their dreams. Yesterday afternoon’s essay was an eloquent expression of a student’s desire to be part of the solution to poverty.
May we walk in Beauty!