I am using the Curtis Memorial Library Prompt List for a series of morning exercises. After yesterday’s Abecedarian poem, I began thinking about how I wish I could have given it to some of my students this past semester. I think the next set of poems I am writing might be:
All the Things I Wish I Had Said (While You Were Still Here)
An Acrostic Poem
Can you feel how it fills you
once you offer it that space
underneath your ribs?
Remember: You can do this.
After all you have been through,
give yourself this breath, and this one.
Each one will offer you space for another.
1. (What gives you strength?) Finding new summer rhythms–more writing, more reading, more yoga.
2. (What opens your heart?) The way that people listen to each other
3. (What refuels you?) Sleep–the summer sleep is returning
4. (What gives you energy?) A clean house
5. (What makes you more completely human?) Stories
May we walk in Beauty!